Hi all! New week again and today we'll be discussing about an issue each and any one of us would be interested in: how to make our computer secure. Since most of us use computers on a daily basis, either at work or at home, we rely on them to keep our information safe. But how safe is "safe"? Do we take all measures to prevent damages happening? What are the basics anyone should know when it comes to securing our computers?
Thanks to these question, our topic for today is: how to protect your computer!
1. First thing that anyone should be aware of is that computers at work are not secure. They might be somewhat secure for the company you're working for, but when it comes to your personal security, they don't go that far. Your employee has the right to surveillance of your electronic correspondence and even trace your activity online, including passwords and everything you do that is stored in the company's system. So when you use the computer at work, remind yourself that even surfing the internet, exposes you to a greater risk.
2. On the other hand when it comes to your personal computer, there are a few things that might help you prevent identity theft and other personal information damages. One thing that anyone should consider is having a reliable and up-to-date security software. Every computer comes with these softwares pre-installed, but they are available for only a limited amount of time unless paying a subscription. It is however very important that you have a paying security software, because those are generally more up to date with the latest threads that might corrupt your system.
3. Opening into details, one security step that anyone should take is having an anti-virus software, that protects you against data damage, computer crashes or slow performances. They work in patterns when looking for mallware, and since the viruses develop by day, your anti-virus should be up to date too. At the same time, having two anti-viruses actively running on your computer is not recommendable, and it doesn't ensure you of a more secure environment.
4. Another security measure you should have is a Firewall, that prevents data entering or leaving your computer without your permission. It blocks unauthorized actions coming from outside of your computer and gives you a cloak of protection when browsing on internet. There are software firewalls(programs) and hardware firewalls(routers), that can be run in the same time. However running two softwares at the same time is not advisable. In both cases, without the properly configuration, they won't serve your needs at their best.
5. To make your security system stronger, it is important to run an anti-spyware software on your computer as well, as it protects you against Trojan horses and other ad-ware and spyware that may be installed in your system and gathers information of you on the internet(including passwords and other personal information) without you even knowing. Spyware generally comes attached to other softwares you're installing, so make sure you limit your program installation to minimum and only by authorized companies. Because even small things as installing a music player or a new toolbar for your browser, or even clicking on a pop-up box while on the internet, could lead spyware right into your computer's files.
6. Another must-do to protect your computer is maintain you wireless connection security. Since a WiFi network doesn't require cable connection and just to be within the wireless access area, it can be easily high jacked by attackers around the area that discover an unprotected connection. So whenever you enter personal information such as your social security number, bank information or passwords, make sure you are on a page that encrypts information or that your WiFi connection is encrypted. If that's not the case, using a VPN that encrypts over an un-encrypted WiFi connection or checking for SSL certificates on all websites you're using personal information on(making sure the URL starts with "https://"), can make the difference.
That's kind of it for today, i hope these basics were helpful and I hope now everyone can have more secure computers:)
Now check back to see what comes up next in Blogger tutorial section, take a look at the SEO department for more tips to improve your blog's traffic or join us to learn new HTML tricks and tips every day!