Here's the scoop on easy HTML tips, SEO (search engine optimization), Blogger help and all news on technical features and softwares!
Today's topic: 5 tips for better SEO
First of all we have to define what SEO stands for and what does it mean. The interweb knows SEO as Search Engine Optimization, thing that basically means the process of improving the volume or quality of traffic to a web site from search engines via "natural" or un-paid ("organic" or "algorithmic") search results. Maybe that "natural" or "organic" terms sound familiar for those of you who use Google Analytics.. if not .. other post, other day:)
Anyway, there are millions of tips on this subject but i will focus on some that actually helped me. The most powerful search engine is Google, so everybody wants to be found by it:) Why, you may ask? Because Google drives tons of traffic, and traffic helps the ranking. So here's a few tips on how to help that happening(and this is what I'm still learning myself):
1. Spiders don't crawl flash or images, but just text, so make sure you put text links(hyperlinks) somewhere on the page so that spiders can find it. Like if you have an image of your delicious pie don't just put the picture of the pie but also put the name of the pie under the picture with the link to your post.
2. Make sure you link within your site first. This way you help people stay on your page longer. Like if for instance you make a reference to a table setting and you wrote a post about a table setting a while ago, make sure to instead of just mentioning "a white and blue table setting" link to it(via hyperlinks) within your site. This way people who might be interested in seeing how would that look, would check yours first, what do you know?!.. they might have missed that post of yours or they might have just landed on your page and wanna check it out:)
3. Also when you link within, make sure you focus on your key phrases. Like if you wanna link to "hiding the navigation bar" post, don't just say "click here" and hyperlink it. Google looks for keywords phrases, so better just say "hiding the navigation bar" and link to it. Also if you have a post about "our vacation" don't just link to that, better say "our vacation in Bali" and link to it. This way you have a better chance for local searches to find you.
4. If you just opened a business or you want to make your site better known faster, the easiest way to go is getting a link to it through another related quality site. Google's spiders track that fast. Like if you have a home designing blog and you've been featured on HGTV or something big, make sure you mention that in text and make sure they mention you in text with a link back to you. This way Google might find you faster in relationship with the featuring site.
5. Also content is everything. Make sure you post at least 2-3 times a week, with fresh content on a regular basis. The little spiders need to be fed:)
Next time we'll talk about Title Tags on each page of your site(another SEO tip). But that's gonna be longer as I'll tell you how to do that, so more for next time:)